Thursday, July 02, 2009

New Music...

So I went on a huge Itunes buying spree the other day, and now that I've finally listened to all the stuff I bought, I wanted to post about it.

I haven't bought new music for like 6 months as I was going through an early 90s acoustic pop phase :)

Anyway I got the following albums:

Ludacris- Theater of the mind.
Kanye West- 808s and Heartbreaks
Amy Winehouse- Back in Black
Eminem- Relapse

The Ludacris album is ok. I still feel like every one of his albums gets worse than the one before it. But I also think I like this album better than his last two, so that's progress. He has a few awesome songs like "I do it for hip hop" with Jay-z and Nas, or "Last of a Dying Breed" with Lil Wayne. But a bunch of the tracks are simply indistinguable southern rap... From a pickup standpoint I definitely agree with him on "One more drink" when he talks about lowering your standards from time to time. Community guys are awfully picky for a bunch of guys who never get laid:)

808s and Heartbreaks has an awesome theme and feels like it goes through the different stages of breaking up and feeling lonely. Whether self serving or not, Kanye lets us into a real world of lonliness behind the balling and celebrity lifestyle. There's a few songs I didn't like, but overall I really enjoyed both the music and the experience of 808s and Heartbreaks.


Amy Winehouse has an awesome voice. Rehab, and You Know I'm No Good are great. That's all the positives I have for Back in Black. I want 7.00 back from Itunes, as I could have just bought the two singles and been done with it.

I love Eminem, but oftentimes ( Especially since he did "Lose Yourself" and decided to just rap at that exact same speed and delivery all the time) his songs have to grow on me. We're at this point with Relapse. Plus, I'm not sure what to believe anymore in his songs as now he's basically as I interpret it, accusing his stepfather of rape. Plus he continues to regale us with tales of Munchousen Syndrome from his Mom... It's just kind of a weird album. Not sure what else to say.

If anyone has good new music suggestions, leave em in the comments.

S

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:35 AM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsbR2dEmHGc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude a good hip hop artist is probably Immortal Technique, he's pretty straight forward and his style is pretty brutal and metaphorical.

    but if you want something to really chill out to and get your head in the game its gotta be the single, pump it up by joe budden or Celebrations by Kool and the gang.

    Celebrations does work great if you picture yourself as just leaving your house after getting a blow job. Always puts a smile on peoples faces!

    Dunno what else because dunno what type of music ur into dude!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Definetely check out the mixtapes from Drake like So far Gone and Sooner than Later

    I think he's the best artist out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:23 PM

    Metallica- Death Magnetic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:47 PM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8txhtB2e5M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kid Cudi's "A Kid Named Cudi" mixtape is available for free online. It's pretty solid all the way throughout. It'll also get you acclimated to his style enough to figure out if you want to pick up his first CD when he releases it later this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hip hop? been listening to the new ones from Mos Def, MF Doom and Asher Roth. I hear good buzz from the new releases from CunninLynguists and Mr. Lif too but haven't checked them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never ask random's for music suggestions. Best way to find new music is to hang with people who have similar taste and know a lot, or check out www.pandora.com. input music you like and it outputs similar music you'll probably like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PUA! at the Disco7:09 PM

    you listen to a lot of hip-hop particularily Atmosphere so check out p.o.s. he's on the Rhymesayers label yo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. pandora.com is a wicked website to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:34 PM

    anything from Pitbull is very very goood at the moment to play in clubs.

    also check out Big Ali - Louder
    crazy album =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:06 PM

    Wisin y Yandel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Jon wow you are wrong about the eminem album...well it is kinda a weird album but it is good. The album has songs about him being at the end of the road. Of course he writes about depression. He does. He has amazing songs like beautiful which is a song about how he is at the end of the road with his career...not to many artists would do that. He is brutally artists with his raps and clever with his rhymes...listen to his ridic..freestyle... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCr3v-xL6YY

    "I wasn't born this way I was pushed to tragedy. I walk around the streets for some puss to fetch me."

    ReplyDelete
  14. ProDigY11:58 PM

    What? You don't listen to T.I.?

    oh man, if you like eminem and wayne then you must have heard of T.I.

    he was ranked what? 2nd best rap artist?

    very consistent, insanely lyrical, and one of those artist who are both trendy in clubs along with an artist who doesn't just rap about money, cars and girls. alot of his stuff can be related even to normal guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:58 AM

    Hey Sinn,

    I'm going to fly the flag for Aussie hip hop here. You should check out stuff from Bliss n Eso:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an5DUidJpWY
    and Hilltop Hoods too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. meth & red Blackout 2 definitely

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also, who cares about song lyrics? Go read some poetry then. All that matters is the sound. At most, lyrics will make a good song better. I'm tired of people saying shitty songs with formulaic and simple sound are good because of the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1:43 AM

    ASHER ROTH
    check him out you'll dig it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LMFAO

    Awesome party music.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man Sinn, you actually liked Kanye's newest? I'm so sick of that overdub reverb voice crap I could vomit!

    On the plus side, Busta's new Album - "Back on my BS" is pretty slick. Some of the tracks are only meh, but there are a couple of great bangers on there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous2:43 AM

    I definately recommend anything from a band called Raunchy, its basically pop metal with a ton of melody, so if you like that then you will liiike. Any band who has brutal honesty with lyrics like " Working 9-5, half a life makes me sick, you might as well suck dick!" get my vote!

    ReplyDelete