Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Enthrall and Disappoint?

I was watching some new HBO show where Jason somethingson plays a writer who pretends to be a detective and there was a line in it that echo'd something Laura the last girl to really emotionally affect me said.

Ted Danson's character in the show said that Jason Somethingson was just like him in that he enthralls women and then eventually disappoints them when the shine wears off.

Which is similar to something Laura said about me right after she left...

But my counterpoint is, doesn't everybody do that?

Aren't we all more attractive the less people know about us? Isn't the idea or idealism of a hot girl ALWAYS better than the reality. Aren't we shocked when we see bad behavior from celebrities we are in love with the idea of?

Is it possible to enthrall someone and then live up to the hype? Or are successful relationships based on learning to love the annoying things about another person as I maintain?

JS

6 comments:

  1. It's easy to love someone for their good qualities. The challenge is to love someone for their bad qualities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:00 AM

    Thats when you have to start being vulnerable and humble I think. Like Obama. He's the most powerful man on the planet, with the life to go with it. And he's very humble and down to earth, as well as assertive. That way you wouldnt end up disappointing. You would be a great man, that people love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Aren't we all more attractive the less people know about us?"

    I've always had the opposite problem. Usually the more someone gets to know me, the more they like me.

    My problem was getting them interested long enough for them to get to know me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael11:43 AM

    I know this is a serious post, but I just can't help thinking you're turning into Carrie Bradshaw

    NM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help taking that as a compliment :)

    JS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haptic6:34 AM

    I found your blog because I also watch that show. I was speaking to a friend of mine about a new relationship I'm in that's breaking down because I clearly "enthrall then disappoint" and I wanted to doublecheck my spelling.

    10 minutes later, here I am.

    I believe that mmapua is right. Normally by the time you've disappointed that person's idea of you they should love who you really are, warts and all, enough to not care about it. Maybe it's easier for some people, but I find the only people that love me warts and all are the ones I have no passionate feelings for.

    Isn't that just the luck? [:

    ReplyDelete