Sunday, September 13, 2009

Great Article About Jordan's HOF induction

A lot of people (Actual sportswriters) have made a big deal of how petty Michael Jordan's speech was. I personally watched the whole thing and felt like it was pretty in character for everything we've seen from him over the years.

Here's a really even handed article on The Worldwide Leader.

Jordan Speech

At the end he says something I truly believe, that he doesn't want to know Jordan the person. I don't want to get to know any of my heroes or celebrities. I just want to be able to enjoy what they do. I don't want to know how much professional athletes cheat on their wives, I don't want to find out that Tom Brady is an asshole, I don't want to learn that Bra Pitt is just a weird quasi stoner.

I need to be able to believe in my heroes and the truth is they are all just human which means there's good and bad.

I prefer to just ignore the bad and keep my illusions.

JS

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Agreed. The same reason why athletes shouldn't be role models. I strictly care about their accomplishments on the field. I could care less what they do off of it (as long as it's not hurting anyone else).

    The only part I disagree with is having Tom Brady as a hero. That is all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:40 AM

    Now you're delusional on a whole other aspect of your life!
    Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:53 AM

    The interesting thing about Jordan is that he is not a "natural." He was cut from his HS basketball team and had to work twice as hard (and smartly) than his peers in HS and North Carolina. There have been great naturals in all sports (Ruth, Mantle, Gretsky, Chamberlin, Jim Kelly) but in many ways they are eclipsed by the "un-naturals" in their respective sports (Pete Rose, Hank Aaron, Bobby Clarke, Jordan, Montana). You see this in music, politics,ect. What is the common thread here? As an "un-natural" Jordan is a very motivated guy and he has viewed life as a series of obstacles to overcome. Sometimes that personality trait can be grating and off-putting on a personal level but in reality that is what gave him his drive to succeed. So I guess we should appreciate who he truly is on that level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what was mentioned about him training his ass off to be the best is the part of "knowing him" that i focus on. i agree with Sinn in regards to not wanting to know the foibles of your heroes. hereos are like he says, larger than life. what's important for them as tools for us, for society, for whatever, is what they REPRESENT.

    ReplyDelete