Monday, February 06, 2012

An interesting thought on delivery from Jerry Seinfeld

Hey there,

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Mine was tarnished sightly by the Pats losing the Super Bowl but not as badly as you might think as I was convinced they would lose going in, so no biggie.

I wanted to share a quick thought on something I heard over the weekend.

There's this awesome new show on HBO called Inside Comedy or something like that hosted by David Steinberg. Their first show was about Don Rickles and Jerry Seinfeld and they had interviews with both which were pretty interesting.

The thing that stood out to me the most was when Seinfeld and Steinberg were talking about new material and how audiences can sniff it out when Seinfeld said he had a piece of material that always killed but he hated it as a joke, and one night he was about to do it but in his head he was debating and he finally decided to do it because it always got a good reaction, but this time it fell flat because even thinking about it falling flat made it so. He went on to say he was sure he delivered it the right way as well.

I thought this was interesting because I've seen the same thing with pieces of pick up material. I don't think it's any sort of "The Secret" type law of attraction BS but I do think that when you hesitate even mentally people pick up on it through microexpressions or body language or something we all tend to give away our true emotions even if we think we're masking it with good delivery.

So that's an interesting thought for the day.

JS

4 comments:

  1. It's true you can't fake confidence. You either own the material or you don't. If you don't love your material, then how can your audience possibly love it? If you don't love yourself, how can a woman possibly love you? If you don't own your sexuality and you're afraid of rejection, you will be sniffed out. Women are naturally better at picking up this information than we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:13 PM

    You gotta have good flow. Chemistry is nothing more than stage presence, and this case is an example of missing your fret. Everyone knows you missed a note. So you have to make sure that you dont miss notes, or you end up spoiling the song and getting bad reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's very basic Sinn. We're moving backwards. I wonder if you have anything new to offer? Don't get me wrong - you are great teacher, but you seem to fade out like the rest of the community nowadays. Are you being true to yourself while teaching right now? I entered the community because I wanted to know how to talk to that cute girl on the street or on a bus giving me the eye, and I ended up miserabele learning how to bang party girls in few hours being fucking dancing monkey somehow thinking that it is cool. I lost myself in the proces - did'nt you also? Have you got what you needed out of the community after all those years? Can you sum up your expirience? I mean real talk here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:22 PM

    This is an interesting topic. I think the essence ov what is going on here is self-criticism. Criticism tends to be habitual. There is def a correlation between external criticism ov others and self-criticism. Personally, when I start criticizing other people, internally or aloud, it tends to become habitual. No sooner, my internal dialogue starts bullying my ego automatically and suddenly, I'm not so happy with myself and the people I interact with pick up on it.
    In this instance, Jerry's internal bully started talking shit, and Jerry prob identified with the bully. He fires off a joke that he actually feels diminished telling, regardless ov the external response. Ov course, everyone else picks up on the emotion and gets to share in the shitty feelings.
    Moral ov the story: Poke fun ov that asshole in your head who's always out to brutalise you and everyone else. In TA Psychology, it's called The Pig Parent. I find humor works exceptionally well in stealing the power ov this energy vampire. Keep this in mind the next time you find yourself being an asshole to somebody else, or yourself.

    zer0/po.nt

    ReplyDelete