Monday, July 12, 2010

What's Up With False Time Constraints?

Hey all,

Happy Monday.

I got two questions about this topic over the weekend so I figured I'd write up a short blog on it.

And I mean short...

False Time Constraints are a Mystery Method technique that are designed to show that you are not going to be hanging around trying to talk to them for long. In theory,it works on the principle of scarcity.

An example would be saying something like

" I have to get back to my friends in a second."

or

" I can't stay long."


For the most part it's a weird tactic and looks like you're excusing yourself for talking to them.

There is however one situation in which you should ALWAYS use a False Time Constraint and that is when you are joining a seated group. The reason behind this is that it's a big liberty to walk up to agroup of people start talking to them and then plop down next to them. It will make people uncomfortable, so by using a false time constraint you're letting them know that you're not assuming that you can sit there all night.

Hope that clears things up,

JS- The King Of Content

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Thank you! I always thought this was a low value tactic. Thanks for supporting my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete